Case Study – K
Ben Priestley (Solicitor and Partner)
This case involves K, a 2 year old child who was struck by a car pulling into a driveway, as K stood waiting for the car’s arrival.
K suffered injuries including:
- Significant bleed of the brain
- Depressed occipital skull fracture
This is an ongoing case. Follwoing our intervention, Liability (fault) has been admitted. The case has an estimated capitalised value of over £4 million.
- This case involves a serious injury to a young child and demonstrates the way in which Serious Injury Law take immediate action to secure early and comprehensive intervention for their clients, far beyond simply recovering compensation.
- K suffered a loss of consciousness on scene. North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) NHS Trust attended the scene. On their arrival, K had an initial Glasgow Coma Scale of 15/15, which dropped down to 8/15 soon after. He was intubated and transferred to hospital as an emergency, where he required major brain surgery and an ICP bolt was fitted.
- Although K has progressed well since his discharge from hospital, he is left with a complex range of physical, cognitive, behavioural, and sensory problems.
- K has returned to mainstream school on a significantly reduced timetable, but continues to struggle with regulating his timetable.
Added value provided to K
Over the last 10 months, Serious Injury Law’s representation has included:
- Engaging in discussions with the defendant driver’s representatives regarding liability and successfully securing a full admission.
- Continuing facilitation of the following intervention through the case. The legal team have attended and steered the multi-disciplinary team where necessary:
- Ongoing specialist Neurological case manager;
- Referral to a Neuro-rehabilitation team for further management;
- Support from ongoing counselling sessions.
Through 2023, steps will be taken to gather vital expert evidence to establish the impact of K’s injuries upon him now and going forwards. Expert evidence is being obtained in the following areas:
- Behavioural Management
- Care and Occupation Therapy
It is important that the experts are encouraged to understand the lived reality of the K’s injuries. To assist with that, a statement has been prepared for the K’s mother, setting out the day-to-day challenges K is observed to face. It is only with experience of complex child brain injury cases that the full extent of the issues can be identified by the Solicitors and brought to the fore.